Thursday, December 26, 2013


Day 9 Sirens – a trigger to fear



While I was driving down a four lane divided highway, I notice up ahead on the opposite side flashing lights. As it came closer I heard the sirens and immediately reacted with anxiety. A deep pressure, a tightening in my chest. I realized from the time I saw the flashing lights, I had nothing to worry about. It was on the other side so I didn't have to pull to the shoulder. It wasn't a cop behind me either, pulling me over. But I still had that panic as soon as I heard the sirens, and I had to laugh at myself afterwords!

Funny how the sound of sirens is engrained within me as a trigger to “something bad is going to happen to me”.



I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to think “something bad is happening to me”.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to connect the sound of sirens with the thought “something bad is going to happen to me”.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing the sound of sirens to exist as a trigger point within me which triggers the thought “something bad is going to happen to me”.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to connect the thought “something bad is going to happen to me” to the emotion of anxiety/panic.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to participate in within an emotional experience of anxiety/panic.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to go into an emotional experience of anxiety/panic because I realize that there is nothing to be afraid of.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to fear something bad will happen to me.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to connect the sound of sirens to fear itself, and thus I forgive myself that I've allowed myself to fear my own fear.



When and as I hear sirens, I take a deep breath and bring myself here, out of my mind. I do not allow myself to think “something bad is going to happen to me”, but instead I focus on what IS happening, outside my mind, in real life. I realize that the sound of sirens is only a trigger, so I commit myself to be more prepared by breathing deeply and not allowing myself to go into thought the next time I see flashing lights, and hear the sirens.


No comments: